Sunday, April 20, 2008

Return of the Dark Side

I tried, I tried, I tried to stay away from the dark side, it's been nearly 3 weeks, but I admit, I just can't do it. I'm back again, first with something positive -- H. from India, with whom I had quite the on-line flirtation between Valentine's Day and my move to Madrid. It was my first Internet infatuation, and I have to admit it's powerful fun. But if it can be said that one always shows one's most positive side at the beginning, this must be doubly true of Internet infatuations. So, I'm afraid I've had to tell him I won't be chucking it all in and moving immediately to Delhi, as he is pressuring me mightly to do. Frankly, I don't even know how he is in bed, so how could I squander my hard-earned year of German residency by turning around and going back to India so soon?! Here's an Urdu couplet he sent me:

Yeh Ishq Nahin Asaan meri jaan.......
Ik Aag Ka Dariya hai or tair ke zana hai...

...This love ...is not easy and not for the week [sic] at heart my darling
.......Its [sic] a river of fire ...and swimming is the only way across.....

I like it -- sink or swim doesn't begin to describe it, we have to throw in fire as well! But the real reason I just had to do another These Men post, is too funny to let go by. To set the scene, I did another classy on-line ad in Madrid. Thinking probably of the arty Peruvians I came to know while in Berlin, I corresponded with a Peruvian for a time but oddly in this crop of men, several times it's had to be me who requested a meeting. Is it that men can tell even via Cyberspace that I'm the kind of woman who tends to run the show, I wonder? At any rate, after me having told him when & where, I got an Email first thing in the morning the day of the "date", saying he couldn't go through with it.

Oh dear, this was just too much for the ever-curious Katchita to resist. I wrote him a couple of times more asking if my undoing was due to 1) the fact that I'd admitted I'm not blond, 2) that he had imminent plans to depart Madrid, 3) is girlfriended/married (that timeless story) , or 4) just shy? He didn't get my sarcasm, fortunately, and disclosed that he's not in Madrid at all, but planted right in front of a computer in Lima. In gently probing his reason for such behavior, I learned that he simply doesn't have anyone interesting to talk to. AWWWW, poor thing. There's another guy, Venezuelan, who doesn't seem to be in any hurry to meet up either. This one's done rather a better job at making it seem he's here in Madrid, but now I'm wondering. Shall I force his hand as well? Hmmm....

No comments: