Monday, November 9, 2009

Mauerfall -- The Basics

More on this later as I landed in Berlin late last Thursday to find my sublet wasn't going to work out and have spent much of the weekend couch-surfing and apartment-searching. Still, on Saturday I managed quite the appropriate tourist promenade from Schlesisches Tor across Oberbaumbrücke to the East-Side Gallery (which I'd never walked before in its entirety). The famous portrait of the Brezhnev-Honecker kiss is bright and shiny again. I popped over to Unter den Linden (renamed Brandenburger Tor S-/U-Bahn) and checked out the wall "dominoes" -- very cool. From the Bundestag to Postdamer Platz the wall has been effectively reconstituted (the dominoes will fall tonight around 7 PM if I'm not mistaken, so there are only short hours left to check them out). I followed them down to P-Platz and shouted across to the West, "Hallo West". This being Berlin, of course, no one blinked, much less shouted back. And this being German, of course, I can never be certain if my errors in declination render me completely unintelligible. No matter. I smiled to myself, the shine of Spain still upon me.

No comments: