Sunday, December 2, 2007

Authentic Ethiopian Food in Berlin

I found out about this restaurant from my Ethiopian student this summer and remembered it when mulling over dinner possibilities for a visitor this week. This restaurant matches the best Ethiopian food I've ever had in the US, since a friend first introduced me to it in Foggy Bottom in DC during grad school. My love affair continued through Little Ethiopias in LA (Fairfax Ave.) and North Oakland (Temescal neighborhood).

At Bete Ethiopia, Zientenstr. 8 (a block or two southeast of the Nollendorfplatz U-Bahn), everything is fabulously good, right down to the honey wine served in pretty fluted glasses from the home country. I highly recommend the combination, for 18 euros, which gets you a selection of the typical vegetarian offerings and one each of lamb, chicken, and beef, including the famous berbere sauce to challenge hardened spice connoiseurs. All served on a large platter covered with ingera, of course.

No comments: